Northern News : November 30th 2011
16 NORTHERN NEWS, NOVEMBER 30, 2011 NEWS Lucky Shoppers Draw Win $1000 Cash In the Christmas Shoppers Draw Make a $20 or more purchase at a participating retailer to qualify. See in store for details. Every participating Shop has a box. The public draw for this competition will be drawn at The Twilight Market 23 December. Competition runs from 1st December to 23rd December. Just in time for Christmas KDBA Members Works to prevent flooding brought forward A combination of $161,000 extra government funding and desire to better accommo- date affected landowners has prompted changes to planned flood protection work for Kaeo. The Northland Regional Council had planned a two stage, ratepayer-funded proj- ect to help reduce flooding in Kaeo over the next two years. Stage One -- worth about $600,000 -- was to begin with construction of a new roughly 200-metre long, four-metre high stopbank either side of State Highway 10 to deflect floodwaters away from the township. The regional council says work on stage one had been scheduled to start in the sum- mer of 2012/2013. Stage two would have eventually seen a second, much longer stopbank and floodwall -- together about 900 metres long -- built between Whangaroa College and the Pohue Pa site, but a start date and funding for this stage had not been decided. However, regional council- lor Joe Carr says due to a combination of an extra $161,000 funding from the Ministry of Education and further consultation with the Kaeo River -- Whangaroa Catchment Liaison Com- mittee and affected landowners, the council had now agreed to start work on the much more substantial stage two first. As well as helping deflect floodwaters away from the town centre, stage two also gives extra protection to the college. Mr Carr says the council will apply for the necessary resource consents shortly and all going well, work would now begin in the summer of 2012/2013. Council land and rivers senior programme manager Bruce Howse says a revised timetable and funding arrangements for what had been stage one would likely be addressed through a future Annual Plan process, probably during the 2013/2014 financial year. He says deferring construc- tion of the smaller stopbank either side of State Highway 10 will not cause any additional problems in the area, given the more exten- sive stage two works will go ahead. Mr Howse says both stages are designed to be indepen- dently effective but says neither offers a magic bullet to Kaeo s flooding problem with both designed to reduce, rather than totally prevent, flooding. Regional councillors voted this year as part of their Annual Plan process to estab- lish a Kaeo-Whangaroa River Management Rate that will see $150,405 raised annually for Kaeo flood work. Dry weather sparks fire bans Zone One extends from Cape Reinga to the: northern side of State Highway 10 from Taipa to Awanui western side of State Highway 1 between Awanui and Kaitaia northern and/or western side of Kaitaia-Awaroa Rd northern side of Uwhiroa Stream and the Herekino Harbour. Zone Two is the rest of the district. NEW RESTRICTIONS IN PLACE PERMITS Permit applications can be obtained from and lodged with Juken NZ Ltd, Aupouri Forest Headquarters, DOC's Kaitaia and Bay of Islands offices or Far North District Council service centres (phone 0800-920-029) during office hours. Applicants should allow up to 72 hours for an inspection to be made. Dry weather and the increased fire risk have forced the Northern Rural Fire Authority to declare prohibited and restricted fire seasons in the Far North dis- trict. It has declared a pro- hibited fire season on the Aupouri and Karikari Peninsulas (Zone One) where there are normally only fire restrictions. The ban took effect from noon yesterday and means no open-air fires will be allowed until further notice. The authority will con- sider granting special permits for hangi fires. The only other exceptions to the total fire ban are gas barbecues. A restricted fire season took effect in the southern area of the district (Zone Two) from noon on Novem- ber 29 until further notice. This means people need a permit to light a fire in the open. Far North principal rural fire officer Myles Taylor says it is banning open-air fires in Zone One because the fire risk has reached levels that pose a threat to public safety and property. Conditions are getting too dangerous for us to continue with a restricted fire season as recent fires at Karikari Peninsula and Ahipara have demonstrated. He urges the public to heed the fire ban or risk fines and a hefty bill for firefighting costs. A small rubbish fire can quickly develop into a major blaze that covers hundreds of hectares and costs hun- dreds of thousands of dollars to suppress. There is no room for com- placency in the southern area of the district. People will be charged if fire services are called to put out a fire -- even if it s per- mitted. Our simple message is, if you can t control it, don t light it.
November 23rd 2011
December 7th 2011